Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Rainy Sunday...What Am I Doing?

Wow, it already feels like winter and it is only mid-October and I am loving it. The rain is my favorite weather of all. So, what am I doing today? Reflecting on what I have accomplished since my last post.

As you know I embarked on making cookies for my daughter's Halloween Party at the horse barn where she takes lessons. They turned out really well. I used a standard rolled sugar cookie recipe but added an additional ingredient to make them taste better than the average rolled sugar cookie, lemon zest. I recommend doing this as it added an additional layer of flavor that is subtle and delicious. Add the zest from half a lemon for one batch, if you are like me and make big cookies double the recipe and add the zest from a whole lemon. I frosted them with royal icing, recipe from www.joyofbaking.com.

Here are my cookies:




They tasted really good. I used brown icing for the eyes and mouth because quite frankly I didn't have black food coloring gel. Next time I will make sure to use black.







My next baking adventure, oatmeal bread this afternoon. I am thinking about using Mary Poppins rather than my Red Star yeast but I will have to adjust the recipe. Wish me luck. I'll post a picture later.

No comments:

Post a Comment